In this episode, I had the pleasure of speaking with Michelle Janikian. Michelle is the author of Your Psilocybin Mushroom Companion, the down-to-earth guide that details how to use magic mushrooms “like an adult.” She has written for publications like High Times, Rolling Stone and Herb. Now, she writes a column for Playboy on all things drug related and also contributes to DoubleBlind Mag, MERRY JANE, Psychedelic’s Today and others. She discussed her shamanic mushroom ceremony, feeling worthy again and gaining strength from her experience. Please enjoy this episode with Michelle Janikian.
- You shared your psilocybin origin story in the preface of your book, but why don’t you tell us a little bit about what drew you to the “medicine” and how you approached it? Why did you feel pulled to do this retreat? The Buena Vida — run by women in Mexico
- Shamanic retreat, several sessions: what about tolerance build-up? Started low and (0.5-2g, 1.5g); Second: (0.5-3.5g, 2.5g); Third: (0.5-5g, 4g); practice navigation skills: letting go, breathing. Mystical. “I’m worthy and I can do anything!” “I’m strong!”
- What were some of the personal changes (transformations) you experienced after, or with other trips since then?
- Have you shared the psychedelic part of your story with family/close friends (saw the IG post about your parents)? How did they react?
- And given that you’re a writer and author, you’re “out” with this, right? Any experiences on being “out” that you’d like to share? Stigma?
- What do you think is the key to a good psychedelic experience?
- Let’s talk about the book:
- Who is your audience, who did you write this for?
- Why did you write it?
- You give advice on everything from dosage to integration. What are some of those lessons that are most personal to you based on your own experiences?
- What else do you want to share about the book?
- What’s next for you, what should we look for from you? What inspires you these days? Book tour (link!). “Trip like an adult.”